railroad festival !!! That's the AMORY RAILROAD
FESTIVAL, where thousands have enjoyed this annual event
every April since 1979. Folks from near and far,
including many railroad enthusiasts, make the
Amory Railroad Festival a "must," year in and year out.
Amory owes its very existence to the railroad - the town
was established by the old KCM&B (Kansas City, Memphis &
Birmingham) Railroad at the mid-point between Memphis
and Birmingham and named the town for railroad magnate
Harcourt Amory. The KCM&B eventually became the Frisco
(St. Louis and San Francisco), which in turn was
purchased by the Burlington Northern in the 1970s. The
BN then merged with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe
Railroad in 1995, resulting in the current "Burlington
Northern Santa Fe" name.
The town of Amory
was plotted and the first lots sold at auction in
November 1887. Incorporation followed in 1888. People
rushed in to buy property and the new railroad town of
Amory was on its way!
Then, in 1923,
came the Mississippian Railway, which was established
primarily to haul lumber products from Fulton south to
the interchange with BNSF at Amory. The Mississippian is a
25-mile long, short-line railroad, now operated by Homan
Industries. The Mississippian Railway was presented the
Golden Box Car award for its achievement as one of the
best managed short-line railroads in the nation.
The Amory Railroad
Festival has been named one of the Southeast Region's
top 29 events. It is centralized in aptly named Frisco
Park, located directly in front of City Hall (which was
once the Frisco Building).
Just so you'll know, an Amory city ordinance prohibits
the presence of pets in Frisco Park.